Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Universe of Social Media in a Nutshell

I reference the great Stephen Hawking, who was able to explain the mysteries of the universe in 224 pages in The Universe in a Nutshell. At first glance social media as a concept seems simple, but in reality it's a universe that is ever-expanding.

I am currently preparing a slideshow presentation that I titled The Universe of Social Media in a Nutshell. I presented my first 15 slides to the sleepy Monday status meeting at Creative Civilization this week, and it was met with consideration and in interesting dialogue following. Round two next week includes an actual tutorial and run-through of our agency's social media platforms, to include our agency Twitter (@CreativeCiv), our Blog and our Facebook Fan Page.

What I would like to do is the following:
- Define Social Media: I've researched the several hundred definitions of social media and combined what I felt was the most accurate explanations into one simple umbrella term.
- Explain how people us Social Media both personally and Professionally
- Provide an overview of what certain platforms (like Facebook and Twitter) provide users
- Explain why Social Media is important to Agencies
- Talk about how Social Media is relevant to Clients and Brands
- Provide case studies of brands who have met success with Social Media (actual, tanglible results, even ROI)

Is there anything else that I'm missing?

Social Media is in its infant stages as a concept. I say this because three years ago I couldn't Google "Blog" and get any results. Now the internet is rife with theories and concepts. Something needs to come out of this noise.
It would be my goal in the next year to not only develop and perfect my presentation but to eventually write a college text for people who use social media and kind of understand it, as well as for people who don't know how to use social media and don't know where to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment