Thursday, July 23, 2009

Internship and Job Leads in Public Relations, Advertising and Marketing: The Adventure

For job seekers, it's a full-time gig (with overtime and no benefits) looking for employment. I've mentioned that I graduated from college unemployed: three excruciating months of sitting in front of the computer, dissecting my resume and going to interviews for jobs whose misleading descriptions were nothing near the reality of the job.

At one point I was invited to interview for an "account executive" position for a "marketing company" whose name I wouldn't mind libeling right now if I hadn't burned their name from my memory from the trauma.

I should have smelled a rat when there seemed to be revolving door of job candidates, but I pressed on (what's a hungry college graduate to do?). After putting me in a glass office that didn't have very much furniture, the recruiter I spoke to began his magical act of pulling rabbits out of his hat and showing me creative materials that I would use but never design. My suspicion started to rise. I was pretty much lead on to believe that this was a real advertising job only to find out about 20 minutes out of town, in some guy's Honda, that we were on our way to Austin for door-to-door sales. I was FURIOUS and demanded the guy to turn the car around. No way was I going to spend the entire day "job shadowing" a solicitor!

Sigh. So get smart, kids.

Back when I was getting tricked into suboptimal job opportunities, I wasn't very 'connected'. The job search engine was the only hope I had in the world, it seemed. Now there is no excuse - put yourself out there! Use whatever resources you can with Facebook, Twitter and, my very favorite, LinkedIn. (PS: There's a word for a person like me -'FaceTwinky').

So here's what you do:
- Put your resume together and have a professional help you. If you're still in college, your university should have a Career Center that will help you polish your resume - free of charge.

- Build a professional profile on LinkedIn, using your newly created resume and start getting connected!

- Join professional organizations and groups (online and otherwise) that can help you. My good friend heard about her current job through the IABC grapevine (in our industry, news travels fast - we created the concept).

- Share your LinkedIn profile on Facebook and Twitter. If you have an online portfolio, these social media websites can help you bring awareness to your talents.

The world is your oyster. It really is.
Once you start getting acquainted with people in the business (like me), they can also help you with job leads. Ask around - we always know who's hiring and who's firing.

PS: Don't be afraid to be direct if you feel that a job description isn't specific enough for comfort. If it walks like duck and sounds like a duck, well, you know.

So get to work. If you have any questions you are always welcome to contact me at theprblog@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Lisa. I actually fell for several pyramid scheme presentation scams that pretended to be marketing/advertising jobs when I was hunting after graduation.

    Nice blog, by the way.

    Carey Quackenbush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog post Lisa. This has happened to me as well and it was very frustrating. Time's have changed where one has to be proactive and use social media to build a respectable presence online. I for one took advantage of social media and it helped me get one internship because I use social media as part of my career experience.

    I also believe creating a blog based on your expertise is also vital, this shows possible employers that you know your field and it may also lead to some personal freelance projects for yourself on the side. I use Wordpress on both my blogs, www.cyberambient.com and www.solpersona.com, and they both helped me find contacts from other people to help with their blogs.

    The important thing is to definitely network and be active on your search, whether it's Twitter, Facebook, or call and inquire companies even if they didn't post a job. I think it's a whole lot better than just giving your resume at a job fair or posting it on a online job board where it can be easily looked over. You have to set yourself apart from the rest, let them know what you can offer to the company.

    ReplyDelete